3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, finely diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
½ serrano chili, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder (ancho chile powder if you can find it)
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 tablespoon sweet paprika
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon salt
1 pound dark meat ground turkey
2 medium sized sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into half-inch cubes (or about the size of a pinto bean)
1 quart chicken stock or chicken bone broth
1 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 15oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
avocado, cilantro, and sliced scallion for serving
1. In a heavy bottom pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
2. Add the onion, garlic, serrano chili, chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne, and salt. Cook down until caramelized and fragrant, about 15-20 minutes.
3. Add the ground turkey and cook until crumbled and combined with the onions. Add the sweet potatoes and chicken stock (or bone broth) and bring to a simmer, then cover and let cook for another 20 minutes.
4. After the sweet potatoes have cooked, add the beans, stir to combine and cook for another 20 minutes uncovered.
5. Taste for salt and spice, then garnish with avocado, cilantro, and scallions.
Recipe Cred: Goop