How to Make a Foolproof Quiche
Makes one (9-inch) pie or about 8 servings
What You Need
- 1 9-inch pie crust
- 1 to 2 cups filling ingredients, like bacon, mushrooms, onions, and spinach
- 1 to 2 cups (3 to 6 ounces) grated cheese, like Gruyère, Swiss, or cheddar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup (8 ounces) milk
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 9-inch cake or pie pan
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Rolling pin
- Sauté pan
- Mixing bowl
- Prepare the quiche crust: Line a 9-inch cake tin with parchment and spray the sides with nonstick spray. Roll out the pie crust and fit it into the tin. Trim away any overhang and reserve for patching up any cracks that appear during baking. Freeze the crust for 30 minutes.
- Blind bake the crust: Heat the oven to 350°F. Line the pie crust with parchment and fill with pie weights or beans. Make sure the weights are snug against the sides of the pan. Bake for 20 minutes and remove the weights and parchment. Bake for another 10 to 15 minutes until just starting to brown. Cool while you prepare the filling.
- Cook the filling ingredients While the crust is baking, prepare your quiche filling. Make sure all ingredients are cooked through and fairly dry (i.e., make sure spinach has wilted and that cooked mushrooms have released all their moisture).
- Line the crust with cheese: Sprinkle half the cheese over the bottom of the pie crust and top with the fillings. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over top.
- Prepare the custard filling: Whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, and salt until frothy.
- Bake the quiche: Pour the custard into the pie crust. Bake the quiche at 350°F for 30 to 40 minutes, until the edges are set but the quiche still jiggles a little in the center.
- Cool the quiche: Cool for at least 20 minutes, but ideally overnight.
- Slice and serve: Quiche can be served cold, room temperature, or warmed. If serving warm, heat in a 300°F oven until just warm to the touch.
Make ahead: The crust can be blind baked up to two days in advance and stored wrapped at room temperature. Quiche can be baked and cooled up to 3 days in advance; bring to room temperature or reheat in a low oven before serving.
Storage: Leftover baked and cooled quiche can be stored wrapped in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Recipe Cred: The Kitchn