Quinoa Salad with Eggplant and Sesame
Author: Hilah Johnson
• 1½ cups cooked quinoa
• 2 small Japanese eggplants or one small globe (Italian) eggplant
• 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
• ½ teaspoon salt
• ½ cup diced cucumber
• ½ cup diced red, yellow, or orange bell pepper
• 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 2 teaspoons soy sauce
• 1 teaspoon sesame oil
• ½ teaspoon fresh grated ginger
• ½ teaspoon fresh grated garlic (or finely minced)
• ½ teaspoon brown sugar
• ¼ cup toasted, slivered almonds
• Toasted sesame seeds (use white ones with red quinoa or black ones with white quinoa for a pretty color contrast)
• Optional garnish: thinly sliced mango
1. Stem the eggplants and cut lengthwise. Brush cut surfaces with sesame oil and sprinkle with the salt. Broil for about 4 minutes, cut side up, just until beginning to brown. Turn and broil an additional 5 minutes. They should be very soft and roasted. Let cool.
2. Toss quinoa with other vegetables.
3. Cut eggplant into cubes (remove the peel first for a more delicate salad).
4. Whisk together dressing ingredients and pour over quinoa. Gently toss to mix. Add in eggplant last carefully so it doesn’t break up too much.
5. Garnish with almonds and sesame seeds right before serving to retain their crunch.
6. Top with mango if using.
Recipe Cred: Hilah Johnson